- A family physician is a type of family doctor that helps us get through illnesses in daily life.
- Family physicians care for infants, children, teens, adults, and even old people.
- They identify and treat different types of illnesses and diseases. Patience and compassion are some personality traits that family physicians require. They also need to be hard-working, and willing to help others.
- Family physicians need to have strong skills in Science, and need to stay up-to-date in the field of medicine. They are the foundation of medical care, and they have many responsibilities towards the community and their patients.
- They have an overall medical knowledge, and the main duty is to diagnose illnesses by doing physical exams and studying information in patient files. They also describe the results of certain tests like blood tests, X-rays, etc.
- A second duty is to suggest treatments like rehabilitation, surgery and medication. When something is serious and beyond a family physician's knowledge, he/she recommends the patient to a specialist.
- Work in clinics, offices, or hospitals in the community. Most are self-employed and run their own business. These physicians have business responsibilities, and have to run the business themselves.
- Family physicians work a long time, averaging 50 hours a week. The work schedule is shifting as they may have to work on weekends, and take out time from their personal life and help patients.
- Self –employed physicians are paid directly by the government according to the number of patients they see and the medical procedures they do. The average amount they receive from the government is about $226 000 a year, but a part of this is spent on office maintenance costs.
- Family physicians working in hospitals are paid yearly salaries by contract, which means they are paid a fixed amount of money for a fixed amount of time. They get benefits (health and life insurance, paid vacation, sick days, and pension plans).
- Self-employed physicians provide their own benefits.
- The top annual wage is that of an established family physician ($150 000 to $250 000 or more), average is that of a new family physician ($100 000 to $150 000 a year), and the low wage is ($40 000 to $65 000 a year).
- There is job security because there is a shortage of family physicians in some areas, and the unemployment rate in 2010 was only 0.6%
- Complete 2 to 3 years of undergraduate university (required science courses).
- To get medical education, attend Medical School for 4 years and become Doctors of Medicine (MD)
- Do training on the job for 2 to 3 years and then officially become family physicians
Everyone is unique and has different attributes and skills which determine their career choices. I have decided to pursue a career as a family physician after completing high-school. I have great interest in pursuing this career. A few personality tests told me what my skills and abilities are, and many of the results related to the type of personality traits you need to become a family physician. The Work Values Quiz was one quiz that corresponds very well with my career choice. The results stated that I enjoy working with the public, I prefer indoor work, and I’m motivated by work that allows me to help others. These work values go very well with what a family physician’s work values are like, because a family physician works indoors, and likes to help others. Along with the skills and personality traits needed to become a family physician, I have great interest in the area of science, especially biology, which is why I chose to pursue this career. This interest of mine makes me suitable for the career, as the highlight in a family physician’s study is science, particularly biology. A major reason why I want to become a family physician is because I can’t imagine myself as anything else. From the very start of school, I have always wanted to become a doctor. By pursuing this career I can ensure that I will be satisfied and will lead a happy and efficient life.
As I mentioned earlier, I have always wanted to become a family physician. I am quite confident that I will stick to my decision, and will eventually become a family physician. I have no concerns, as I know that when I become a fully established family physician, the job will become slightly easier. The only difficult part of this career is all the study and the hard work. But hey, I’m a hard worker aren’t I? Despite the hurdles that will come my way in this career, I am truly motivated to successfully make my way through. I wish to set goals for myself which will help me to achieve my full potential, and eventually become what I want to. I have already gained much knowledge about this career, and I wish to unravel even more facts about it. Many opportunities will come my way and I will surely take advantage of them.